Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Baking is Hard Core


Okay, so I took some pictures of my baking project the other day. Baking whole wheat bread.

(The pyrex bowls I got from my boyfriend's mother.)

So, baking bread certainly isn't easy, nor is it quick. It took a long time. I started baking around 5pm and it wasn't done until 11pm. Kneading, rising, punching, rising, punching, rising, moving the dough to baking dishes, rising. Baking.

(The blue bread pan is silicone. I spray both with pam butter flavor before baking so the bread slips out easily.)

It's so worth it though. I feel this great sense of accomplishment when I eat the bread. I made 2 loaves, as it seems most recipes make that many. I kept half out and put it in a biz slide plastic storage bag. I also put a paper towel in the bag.


The rest I wrapped in parchment paper and put into a freezer bag inside of a slide plastic storage bag like the other one. Then I put it all in the freezer. Oh, I also sucked all of the air out using a straw. Sucking yeasty fresh baked bread can give you a head rush.



I also baked a chocolate pudding cake and a Devil's Food cake for a friend. I took them to a get together on Sat urday with some friends. The chocolate pudding cake was devoured, and the friend got to take the Devil's Food cake home.

(This is the chocolate pudding cake. I still don't believe it was correct.)

In exchange for my baking efforts he spent hours slaving over a hot stove making krumkakes. You can find out info on them here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krumkake
They were very yum.

Last night I found a recipe online for chocolate chip cookies and I used Bob's Red Mill Unbleached White Flour to make them. I want to make a whole wheat cookie. I thought about using whole wheat pastry flour. Any thoughts? Any recipes?

*Edit* I promised pictures a while back, and here they are.

No comments: